A Birthday Poem: 53. Another Day on the River
A River of Stories: A Guest Blogger on Catch the Storybug
I dreamed of catching a silvery bright crappie flopping on a cane pole.
Showered, shampooed, shaved, sh*t, then sipped coffee.
My work day started with a hike along the high bluff
above the Mississippi
with 22 teenagers,
serenaded by a dozen bird songs,
tasting wildflowers and talking tree tales ...Read More
But if you take the time to look around, look more closely, there are faint impressions from the life of Logan in plain sight in every small town and large city.
As many of you may know I portray General “ Black Jack” Logan. Working with www.HistoricUnitedStates.com, we recently helped to redesign the website, www.loganmuseum.org. To help launch the website we are hosting a “Where’s Waldo” kind of contest encouraging you to send us a photo and 50-100 word description of where you found General John A. Logan. Once you start looking you will find him in many places! Send us your pictures to win prizes and free tickets to the museum. Follow this link to read more…
Chasing Lovely: The Dreaming Tree Concert Series Continues
Our next concert is July 19th at 4:00 pm with a truly lovely duet: witty, talented, acoustic singer/songwriters, Chasing Lovely. Bring your family, bring a friend, bring a lawn chair, bring a picnic, BYOB. Please visit our events page for more information: www.twinflowerinn.com/events
Guest Blogger on Catch the Storybug!
Day by day, stone by stone, Build your secret slowly…
For the past several years I have been working on growing the Prairie State Chautauqua. We started with one performance in a few towns around the state. Then Bishop Hill and Murphysboro each hosted a full day. This summer Jacksonville will host three days, Franklin Mill and Bishop Hill are hosting two days, Murphysboro one, and two other towns are hosting a single program, planning for a future Chautauqua.
- July 17, 7:00 PM Black Hawk's Band: A Native View of Illinois History at the Twinflower Inn Summer Campfire Series. Featuring storytellers Jo Lakota and Brian "Fox" Ellis, singer/songwriter Barry Cloyd and fancy dancer Jimmy Lakota. For more information visit twinflowerinn.com/events or call 309-696-1017.
- July 18, 12:00 PM Fox will perform as Austin Gollaher at noon in Franklin Park as part of the Bloomington, Illinois Lincoln Festival. There are programs all over town both Saturday adn Sunday. Here is a link to the complete schedule.
- July 18, 7:00 PM Fox will perform "Black Hawk, A Native View of American History" at the Grayslake Heritage Center and Museum (http://www.villageofgrayslake.com/) in Grayslake, IL.
- July 19, 4:00 PM Dreaming Tree Concert Series at The Twinflower Inn in Bishop Hill, IL. Musical guest Chasing Lovely. Music begins at 4:00 pm. For more information visit www.twinflowerinn.com/events or call 309-696-1017.
- July 25, 2:00 pm Fox will perform as Walt Whitman as part of Thomson, Illinois' Sesquicentennial. Spend an Hour with the Old Gray Beard Poet as he recalls his memories of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War. Sponsored by the Thomson, IL Chamber of Commerce and Illinois Humanities.
- August 15 & 16 Fox will perform both Saturday and Sunday at the Franklin Creek, IL Chautauqua at Franklin Creek Grist Mill (www.franklincreekgristmill.com/chautauqua). There is a full weekend of activities including nature hikes, crafts, meals and music! Saturday he will be "Austin Gollaher: Lincoln Tales Talls and True" and Sunday he will be Billie Herndon, speaking on Lincoln the Lawyer.
- August 29 & 30 Fox is hosting the 3rd annual Bishop Hill Chautauqua, with performances from 1:00-4:00 pm both days. There wiil be a workshop for educators, actors, and homeschoolers Saturday morning at 10:00. Sunday at 1:00 local students will perform! Located in the Village Park, this small town tradition is a FREE, family-oriented event where you'll hear re-enactors tell inspiring stories portraying famous historical figures. This year we are celebrating the Life of Lincoln. Come meet his childhood friend Austin Gollaher, his law partner Billie Herndon, Mary's dressmaker and family confidant, Elizabeth Keckley, the Drummer Boy of Shiloh, James Monroe, and of course President Lincoln will be there. Rain or shine, we have in door options. Bring a lawn chair, bring a picnic, bring a friend! Come early to enjoy the shops of Bishop Hill. For more information visit www.bishophillheritage.org or call 309-927-3899.
- September 16 from 1:00 - 4:00 PM Fox is hosting the 3rd Annual Murphysboro Chautauqua at the Liberty Theater on Main Street in downtown Murphysboro, IL Meet Billie Herndon, Lincoln's Law Partner, Mary Todd Lincoln and President Lincoln.
If you see that that I will be in your area and you would like to book a program to share expenses, please Contact Fox.